Sunday 16 November 2008

Essay: Gay Marriage

Just forty years ago African-American’s were not even allowed to piss in the same bathroom as a white people. Now America has elected one to the highest position in the land, President. It was even conceivable that a woman could have been elected to this prominent post too. Both cases prove that America has changed a lot over the years. However, on that same historic day, Californians (one of the most liberal states of all America) were also voting on Proposition 8; a measure to restrict marriage to heterosexual couples. Unfortunately, the measure passed 52% in favor. Florida and Arizona passed similar resolutions the following day along with votes relating to banning gambling, abortion issues and stem cell research. All of this shows that conservatism is endemic in America still and is the dominant force shaping society. Why does this matter? I’m not American! True, but America is still the most dominant power in the world and the eyes of the world persistently gaze upon it. Also, the arguments raised on both sides are universally applicable to all societies.

The proponents of same sex marriage highlight that it’s blatant discrimination which ultimately leaves gays as second class citizens. Similarly, It does nothing to destabilize the institution of marriage and in fact would benefit society. The opponents argue that it’s immoral, historically it has always been a union between opposite sexes, it opens up a bag of health risks and instability, and will ultimately lead to the destruction of the institution of marriage altogether. Both sides argue vehemently over their views.

I suppose when I was younger my initial views were who wants to get married anyway? It went against my tendency to go against the grain. Why conform to a heterosexual institution and become assimilated into that society. Also, does it really promote stability in relationships? At that time I believed not. Yet not being any meaningful relationship at the time and being forbidden by law to get married even if I wanted to obviously helped shaped my views at that time.

Over the years, my views have certainly changed. As my views have changed so has the law in the UK too. Thankfully, civil partnerships are now legal in the UK since 2005 which grants same sex couples many of the rights enjoyed by married couples. I’m at the happiest time I have ever been in my life with regards to my relationship right now. I’m in a committed loving relationship and that love and commitment we have is no different from any other heterosexual couples. If we wanted to express that through marriage why should we be forbidden to? Admittedly, getting married would not make our love stronger or make our relationship more stable but that’s not the point. It would give us rights that we just wouldn’t have cohabiting such as social security, pensions, inheritance, next of kin rights, and adoption rights to name just some. It would also have a symbolic value to celebrate love.

I believe that it’s only a matter of time before gay marriage becomes legal in more and more places. What it boils down to is rights, should I have the right to marry? Yes. Do I intend on exercising that right? You bet I do!

1 comment:

Cha Lai said...

Good to know of some personal details of your life. Cha