Saturday 15 November 2008

The Golden Horse Film Festival Week 1







As I have a movie buff boyfriend I have had a great opportunity to see lots of films recently at the Golden Horse Film Festival. So far I have seen four movies; Gomorra, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Shine A Light, and Into The Wild. All four have been good. Gomorra’s elaborate plot demands attention with its frantic pace and myriad intertwining stories yet is an intriguing insight into the dark underworld of the Italian Mafia. The classic, 2001 A Space Odyssey, was truly awesome on the big screen. I admit to struggling to retain attention when watching it on DVD but viewing it in its intended format elevated the movie to a whole new level for me. Into the Wild is a thought provoking movie. It harks to the adventurous get-up-and-go feeling that many people feel from time to time; yet takes that to the very extreme. The characters he meets along the way are the key to this movie for me. Finally, Shine A Light, a masterpiece as far as musical documentaries go. I love the way the instruments, including vocals, are isolated, raised and lowered in tandem with the visual tone to create something totally unique compared to other concert performances I have seen before. A must see even if you are not a Stones fan.

No comments: