Friday 9 May 2008

My First Week At My New Job

Today marks the end of my first week at my new school, Giraffe. A little less cram school orientated than what i am used to which is by no means a bad thing. I actually feel like a 'proper' teacher rather than a trained chimp who sole aim is to entertain children! Gone are the hammers and sticky balls, in are the grammar explanations and a level of respect for foreign teachers that i have rarely witnessed before. So things are generally looking good so far. Still don't have my own classes as such as i have started in the middle of a semester but i can't wait to get going. My little kindergarten class is so sweet. No ridiculing the teacher from them, all you get is "teacher i love you," so sweet!

This should all be taken with a pinch of salt as the whole experience is still in the novelty value stage. No doubt before long i will be complaining non-stop about the job. As or now, things are going well and i can only view the change of job as a positive move, which is a relief.

Continuing the positive theme, i am feeling much more at home around Taipei as well. Moving to a new city is never an easy feat, yet it hasn't taken long to feel quite at home here. I suppose deep down i have always been a big city boy despite my sporadic tendencies to live a secluded life far away from it all.

No comments: